Thursday, April 14, 2011

60 degrees and sunny. So wonderful.  I am trying to not get too excited and put too many seeds in because we are not yet past our last frost date.  Today I tilled some mounds and sowed my zucchini.  Last year and the year before I started my zucchini indoors at the same time as my tomatoes, with no success, the plants made it through the transplant, but never thrived and never produced.  This year I am attempting to just direct seed them and see what happens.  I also tossed some herb seeds in my small planters and some cucumber seeds along the east side of my greens bed, I plan on trellising them up to provide shade for the greens and maybe have them make it through summer.  So far the garden is shaping up well. 

So far I have planted sugar snap peas, arugula, spinach, beets, radishes, mixed greens, romaine, carrots, cucumbers, yellow and green zucchini, sweet corn, strawberries, parsley, oregano, basil, cilantro, dill and some red & gold potatoes that managed to sprout in the pantry.

My raspberry and wineberry plants seem to be coming in well, but need some weeding and mulch to really take off.  My horseradish is back, but between the kids and the chickens plucking all the leaves it is struggling a little, but it is impossible to kill that stuff so it will do fine.  I had some parsley and oregano make it over winter, but the chickens and the kids got to that too, the oregano will pull through, the parsley is still questionable.  The swiss chard that came back is gone, along with the radicchio, once again, chickens. I have some asparagus crowns that I have had for awhile, I just don't know where to put them.

I'd like to see some sprouting happening in the jiffy houses soon, I am getting anxious about my tomatoes and peppers, because in all honesty, that's what I garden for, the rest is just extra goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment