Monday, July 20, 2009

tomatoes?

I'm sitting here at work looking at the dirt still caked under my nails thinking about what I'd rather be doing. Maybe weeding the between the cucumbers, or transplanting the rouge pumpkin/squash/watermelon plants that popped up in the side yard. Or maybe just snacking on some fresh green beans. yum.

I started my garden in early April and now I am anticipating the day the tomatoes ripen. I garden for tomatoes. This is the first year I have taken my garden seriously and the results have been wonderful. Last night we had a tasty mixed greens salad with red pepper and cucumber, all fresh from the garden.

I wonder daily what took me so long to test out my 'green genes' which apparently run in the family. I remember growing up helping my dad harvest our small backyard garden. My sister and I would pick all the cherry tomatoes we could carry and throw them at each other to see who could catch the most in thier mouth. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Tomato day is a week or so away. I can't wait.

Dinner tonight: Roasted chicken. Side of string beans with sauted shallots, garlic and squash blossoms, all picked today. Maybe use up the left over mashed potatoes with some fresh scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment