Friday, July 24, 2009

Stuffed Zucchini

I know everyone who has ever grown zucchini has ended up with that rouge ginormous zucchini that some how hid from view and survived being harvested until it was a monster.

This is my favorite recipe for that huge zucchini that has been hiding in your garden:

Ingredients
1 ginormous zucchini (works well with other summer squash too) halved lengthwise
1 pound crumbled cooked ground turkey
1/4 cup chopped sweet onions
1/4 cup diced paste tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
3 cups cooked rice or orzo (I like using brown rice)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 400

Scoop seeds out of each zucchini half (compost!) making a pair of canoes.

In a bowl, combine cooked ground turkey, onions, tomato, bread crumbs and seasonings.
Mix to combine. Spoon mixture into zucchini boats (I'll admit it I use my hands for this part).

Sprinkle cheddar over top.

Bake zucchini boats 10 or so minutes until heated through and cheese is melted.

Serve over rice :D

Dinner tonight: see above. yum.

1 comment:

  1. HI PIXY! I've had trouble linking to you through 'Follow' widget..til today. It's nice to meet another NJ blogger! Where about is Millstone? I'm central in Hunterdon Cty. Looks like you just started blogging so Congrats! Your little boy is adorable ;) I'm going to try this zucchini recipe..sounds great!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete