Thursday, July 23, 2009

FIRST TOMATO!

YAY! I was so excited yesterday to walk into the garden and see that first hint of red. I checked this morning (and took a picture) and now it looks like when I get home from work there will be 3 little tasty cherry tomatoes ready to be added to my dinner salad. The rest of the garden looks great. Yesterday was my day off so I got some work done in the morning before it got hot out. I attempted to transplant the rouge squash plants that popped up in the shade into barrels in the sun, we will see how that works out. I tied up some more cherry tomato plants, they are barely contained in those cages. There are a couple other cherry tomato plants that are starting to get that hint of red, I see alot of bruchetta in my future. I don't know what I was thinking when I planted 20 cherry tomato plants, cherry tomatoes are tasty but they aren't exactly easy to store. I know for next year, less cherry tomato plants, and larger tomato cages.

The eggplants that I am attempting to grow in a barrel look great, tons of purple flowers. I have always had problems with bugs eating my eggplants in the past so this year I put two plants in a 1/2 whiskey barrel with a small catnip plant. It is working out great! I have always heard of companion planting but I never attempted any of the pairings until this year and I am pleased at the results. I have my onions by my lettuce and the rabbits haven't touched a leaf. I have been having problems with beetles on my summer squash plants so maybe it is time to pick up some sage and tuck it in between the squash rows, see what happens. The beetles are less fond of the tougher winter squash. The spaghetti squash plants and the buttercup squash seem to be doing well, they each have some respectable size fruit on them. I love spaghetti squash, just add a little diced tomato and seasoning and you've got a tasty (healthy) meal.

Dinner tonight: Chicken fajitas with fresh peppers & onions from the garden, garden fresh side salad with mixed greens, cucumber and a little cherry tomato. Tasty.

1 comment:

  1. You said you had peppers for supper in your Fajitas. I'm assuming they were bell peppers. I've never been very successful in growing them. Could you please tell me what they like and dislike.I'm envious and would love to have nice plants.
    http://easylivingthehardway.blogspot.com
    Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete